Identities Explored in Europe: Berlin

Two months ago I took a spontaneous trip to Europe. The primary reason this blog is back up. Four cities were in my itinerary: Berlin, Vienna, Paris, & Milan - respectively.

I have family and/or friends in Vienna and Milano  - therefore I had limitations in exploring different identities/roles. Regardless of my restrictions - I managed to play around with different roles.

Anyway, I've decided to document the role(s) in each city I played. I wanted to go in order, but in Berlin there weren't many or even any roles played... Except maybe adapting to any perceived cultural differences - but I didn't observe much, compared to North American culture... I do feel like the Germans I've come into contact with were very well spoken/mannered... a.k.a.... classy. :P

My trip was a total of 11 days. I went back to my hometown for two weeks, desperately missed Europe and begged my family to purchase me a ticket back. They did not want to fund my accommodation - and rightfully so.. I was in charge of that unless I wanted to stay with family in Vienna or Milan.

I pondered the possibilities and savings.... but decided against it. So I sold some of my investments, enough to continue to stay at the same hotel I did two weeks before arriving. Then I made a mistake - I sold enough in my currency - the dollar. And not the euro.

Not only that but I obviously needed enough to pay for transportation, food and emergency airport money. When I went back, I stayed for a month. I was able to stay at the hotel for two weeks. I had no choice but to fly to Milan and stay with my mother's cousin. I know it sounds ridiculous because I could've used Airbnb... but I'm old fashioned. I stayed in the area "Mitte" & the flats there were about the same price as the ones listed on Airbnb and a vast majority of hotels.

I learned a bit of German, fell in love with the sausages, (had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner EVERYDAY) and even had a guy yell at me because I didn't press that button and another guy lecture me about the proper pronunciations of Audi, Volkswagen, BMW, and Porsche. (I'm sorry I shamed you)!!

Adjusting my "accent" to properly pronounce these names and words made me feel .. differently. I definitely felt like a different person. I felt like ... a local?? By the time my two weeks was up - I had known Berlin like the back of my hand.... even figured out every section of Kaufland, and learned when the cashier who spoke English worked. Haha.

No, I did not meet anyone in Berlin.. or did I? For those of you who are going to ask - there were no guys I met or had the desire to! Remember that guy in the ask me anything thread said he always had to be the one to ask... I believe serial dating was a phase of my life that has come to an end.

Being in Berlin was like starting a profound new life. I miss it and hope to go back in August. With the current projects I am working on (6 - two are pending). -  I doubt it - you never what pleasant surprises/opportunities life could place right onto your lap.

Anyways the next post would be about Vienna. I'm writing this from the blogger app - so somewhere within this post are *some* pics frm Berlin. The one of the Brandenburg gate is my mom lol  , that was around 1Am. Was so cool being there for the first time with absolutely NO ONE AROUND! The second one is the view of the tv tower from my room and third one is me cropped out, and proving I was there :D - except my hair in front of .. um I forget what it's called... if anyone knows, put it in the comments. I sat in a park - lustgarten I think its called.. and behind me was that building. Forget now. If anyone knows - please put in comment!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Dark" Sides to One's Personality....

Ask Me Anything